Ever experienced pressure in life? You might be saying, “when don’t I?” We experience pressure in different ways; with our families, our careers, maybe a degree you’re pursuing, not to mention the important relationships within our lives, errands to run, finances or the lack of finances…I think we get the picture. We all know the feeling of the never ending demands within our lives. Hopefully it hasn’t caused you to look like the guy above…but one thing for sure is stress can be a very ugly thing when we don’t know how to handle it. Most people simply worry about things they can not change.
2 Corinthians 4:8-9 says, “We are pressed on every side by troubles, but we are not crushed. We are perplexed, but not driven to despair. We are hunted down, but never abandoned by God. We get knocked down, but we are not destroyed.” One thing that really sticks out in this portion of scripture is that Paul was not going to let the world get the best of him. That’s exactly what we need to do too. We can’t let the pressures of the world handle us, but instead we need to learn how to handle pressure. Before we move on, let’s see how most people handle pressure.
Can you relate? You know who else can relate too? Jesus! Yes, that’s right…he felt pressure too. In fact, everything that you have ever felt, he went through the same exact thing. You might feel like no one understands you, he was misunderstood by those in his time. He came with an unfamiliar message that people didn’t quite get. You might feel like you’re not really accepted even though you try to fit it. Jesus was rejected by his own people. You might even feel like the responsibilities that you carry on a daily basis are stretching you thin. Jesus can relate with that one too, his responsibility to die for the sins of the world stretched him out on a cross. The bottom line: Jesus handled pressure! He didn’t avoid it or put it off for a later time but he did something about it. Maybe it’s time for you to deal with the pressure in your own life.
- Turn Everything Over to God – That means we have to get on our knees and begin to allow God to take control of our lives. Jesus did that time and time again. He knew who to go to. Are you going to the right person when things get hard in your life?
- Understand Your Purpose in LIfe – A doctor put it like this, “It’s not the fast tempo of modern life that kills but boredom with that life. It’s the feeling that nothing is worthwhile that makes men ill, unhappy and full of stress.” Jesus was able to keep going forward in hard times because he knew why he was here.
- Surrender Your Will to God – This is a struggle we must win every day. We must learn to give up our rights and allow God to have the final say.
- Be Like Jesus (Be a Generous Person) – Jesus constantly gave. Are we giving? Sometimes the best thing to do under pressure is to encourage someone else. You’ll be surprised that at the end of the conversation, you’ll feel a lot better about the life that you’re living.
- Give Your Best (through excellence and obedience) – Jesus gave his life. When you’re close to God, he’ll direct your path. As a matter of fact, before you’re quick to close this blog and go about the rest of your day…take a few minutes right now to bow your head and ask God to help you with the pressures that are weighing on you right now. He cares about you and he cares about everything you’re going through. I’m sure he’ll give you comfort right now to help you keep on keeping on. God Bless!